Sunday, January 10, 2016

Rab Equipment - AL Pull-On - The Best Base Layer
Sunday, January 10, 2016

Rab Equipment - AL Pull-On - The Best Base Layer


A good base layer? Seems like everywhere you go to find a good base layer you have what seems like hundreds of choices and dozens of brands. To be quite honest, I am kind of a gear snob and end up paying more for a piece of outerwear than I probably should be. However, i've learned that paying good money for a piece of outerwear really is, you get what you pay for. I've found that to be the case with the Rab AL Pull-on base layer. I bought two of these a few years ago, and it's been worn more times than I could count. I feel like so many of the photos from my backpacking, climbing and hiking adventures I am wearing this base layer. It really is my go to base layer. 

With all that aside, lets get into what I love about this piece of clothing. The AL Pull-on is made from the Power Dry fabric by Polartec. A great wicking fabric that breathes incredibly well when worn right next to skin, and yet keeps the body warm. This particular base layer is a half zip that makes regulating temperature a breeze. 

I've worn this layer so much that it's become a staple to my backcountry outerwear. Not only is it extremely comfortable and fits well, it's been a reliable layer that i've always counted on. In March 2015 I wore this layer on a six day backpacking trip through the Paria River Canyon. Basically it was the perfect light weight, base layer that made sure I didn't get too much sun on my neck and arms, and yet kept me cool when in the sun, but also warm in the cold shadows of the canyon. 

If you are in the market for a great base layer, this is one to make part of your gear list.  

0 comments: