Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hillsound Equipment - FreeSteps6 Crampons - Gear Review
Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hillsound Equipment - FreeSteps6 Crampons - Gear Review

Last week, as mentioned in the post below, I had the opportunity to spend a few days checking out some new gear at the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City, Utah. I was amazed at the amount of gear that was being introduced, and the amount of brands that I had not heard of before. It just goes to show how massive the outdoor industry really is. 

I was unbelievably impressed with a company based out of Vancouver, Canada, called Hillsound Equipment. Hillsound specializes in hiking crampons, microspikes, and their Armadillo Gaiters. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a pair of the FreeSteps6 microspiked crampons. These baby's are amazing, and for the price are a wonderful option to gain more traction while on the trail. The FreeSteps6 are marketed for around town and trail running in the winter to ensure you do not find yourself face down in the snow and ice. I took them out on the trail to hike and was impressed with how nice they fit around my boots and made my trail experience that much better. 

The FreeSteps6 are a microspike style crampon similar to Kahtoola's Microspikes. Hillsound makes more than one type of hiking crampon, so if you are looking for something a little more aggressive check these out. The FreeSteps6 fit snug around your shoe or boot and are not going to slip off or move around while walking through snow and ice. They move with the flex of your shoe or boot, which makes them incredibly comfortable. They are incredibly easy to get on and off, especially with gloves on. They are comfortable and just make hiking on ice so nice!

I have absolutely loved these crampons and they are built so solid, that I know they are going to last me a long time. Made from stainless steel and a really great design, these crampons are a must for any trail runner/ hiker that sees any snow and ice in their future. The FreeSteps6 retail for $39.99, which is an amazing price for what you are getting. 

Buy a pair of these awesome crampons here: Hillsound FreeSteps6





0 comments: