Thursday, January 23, 2014

Outdoor Retailer Winter Market - Outdoor Gear Paradise
Thursday, January 23, 2014

Outdoor Retailer Winter Market - Outdoor Gear Paradise

It's that time of year again where outdoor professionals and outdoor gear heads gather in Salt Lake City, Utah for the Outdoor Retailer Trade Show. The Winter Market showcases the newest and greatest winter gear being released this season. Everything from climbing gear, backpacking gear, footwear, food, outerwear, and anything else related to gear and the outdoors you'll find packed into one place. 

I spent two days walking around talking with all sorts of people about products that set them apart from their competition and what was new for 2014. Here are some of the highlights for me over the last two days. 

- Sierra Designs has redesigned their entire tent selection with all new tents for 2014. New designs, and new ultralight options that are going to be amazing.

- Sea to Summit has as the gentleman I spoke with said, "if you can find a company like us that puts more effort into design, good luck."They had a really neat tarp and bug tent setup that is super light weight and made from super thin, yet weather proof 15D poly treated nylon. A simple design yet simple and complete.

- Hanwag was a new brand to me that is a German company. I was impressed by their designs and the versatility. Everything from casual hiking to alpine boots for climbing. Check them out. 

- Hillsound Equipment was also a new brand to me that falls into the same category as Kahtoola, which you may be familiar with. Hillsound is a Canadian brand that produces hiking crampons and running/hiking spikes. I was able to get my hands on a pair of the spikes and have already spent a day on the trail using them. Look for a review on these spikes. 

- Ticla... This booth completely took my by surprise. Taking a car camping approach that caters a little more towards the female mind, Ticla is a brand new company producing tents, sleeping bags, and pads that take a casual approach. The tent design was different and is what initially caught my eye. I felt like I was looking at a Pinterest Pin in person. Very neat product. 

As per usual the outdoor giants released information on new product lines and no doubt everyone is excited about new gear. I enjoyed more so talking with the companies that aren't so known and yet are proving to have product that is worth the investment. 

Long story short, gear is awesome, and seeing the newest and greatest all in one spot defines outdoor paradise in my opinion. 


0 comments: